The best non-dairy, non-egg sugar cookies ever (just perfect!)

I forgot to give you the recipe for the sugar cookies we made yesterday - scroll down to see it, along with some notes I made. Finding recipes for favorites such as frosted sugar cookies has been tough... tough, but not impossible! Although we eat meat, we use a lot of vegan recipes because they don't have any dairy or eggs in them.

These cookies are fabulous. I didn't make the recipe up. I found it on this blog. I can't tell you how many people have told me that they just love them -- and these people don't have any dietary restrictions! When I tell Jeff that they love them, he says, "Of course they do, they're frosted. Who doesn't love frosting?" But it's more than that... they are really, really good. And here's something for all of you bakers that is good to know: the dough doesn't get tough when you roll and re-roll. That is a bonus!

A few notes about the recipe:
1. You can debate whether or not these are vegan. There was a series of comments on the blog posting where I found them about whether or not the sugar was vegan. Did you know that some white sugar is processed with something called bone char, which is a fancy phrase for cow bones? It's used in the whitening process. I mentioned it to my father-in-law when we were in Florida a few weeks ago and, in true Neal form, he got to the bottom of the mystery in no time. Some sugar refineries use bone char, some do not. There is really no way to tell by looking at the package. If you are vegan, this would mean that you wouldn't trust white sugar. Our next question was whether or not this is kosher. It seems that it is kosher.

That should clear up any questions you had about white sugar and vegan and kosher dishes.

2. The recipe calls for margarine. This is a big stress point for me. BIG! As a mother of a child with an allergy to dairy products, I have found that there is great confusion about margarine. Most margarines have dairy (whey) in them. We buy Smart Balance because it *doesn't*. Mostly. The small 8 oz. tubs don't have dairy, but the big 16 oz. tub with the exact same label does have dairy in it. ??? It drives me crazy. I want to recommend Smart Balance to people but I am afraid to without giving a really long explanation (like the one I'm giving to you), because you can't count on it.

3. The recipe calls for a few ingredients that you may need to get at your local health food store or in your supermarket -- EnerG egg replacer and Tofutti cream cheese.

4. There is a frosting recipe on the original blog posting. I used it once and wasn't crazy about it. For the Valentine cookies, I got lazy and used a tub of Duncan Hines white frosting. A lot of the Duncan Hines mixes and frostings are dairy- and egg-free.

The best non-dairy, non-egg sugar cookies ever
This makes about 36 cookies.

1 cup margarine
3 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar ]
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 whole egg replacements (Ener-G)
1/4 cup tofu cream cheese (Tofutti)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar. Stir in the egg replacements and vanilla. Gradually add the flour, baking powder and tofu cream cheese. You may have to use your hands at this point to finish the mixing. Form the dough into a long loaf and wrap in cellophane. Refrigerate for a couple hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease the cookie sheets or use a non-stick foil.
3. On a lightly floured surface (we taped down a sheet of non-stick foil to our countertop instead), roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place about 1 inch apart cookie on sheets.
4. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes in the preheated oven, until bottoms and edges just start to get light brown. Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!