I have so many questions about something so simple. Where is 'A' going to go to preschool next year?


She has a few options. I can keep her at her current preschool, at the nursing home. Or I can send her to the new UPK in town. Or she could possibly go to the Montessori school in town. That's one where she would have to apply and be accepted.


All of these options have pros and cons. The real question I am asking is this: why is she going? There are so many things that she is learning at home with me and 'H' that she should be learning at home at this age. So, if I send her away for a few hours either 3 or 5 days a week, what might she be learning at preschool that she wouldn't learn at home? There are certain things that she learns when she's away from me that are good for her. My question involves the balance between the two. Is what she would be exposed to in preschool worth the 3 or 5 days away?


All preschools are not equal. At her current school, she would have regular contact with older adults and adults with physical needs. That is a huge plus. She also would have the same teacher who is familiar and comfortable with her dairy and egg allergies, also a huge plus. And I love the health and fitness aspect of the program, and the foreign language component. It's 3 days a week, also a huge plus for her. But it's in the afternoon, which is not my first choice.

At the UPK in town, ... Well, it's free, if the budget is passed (I'm not holding my breath this year, in this economy). I'm going to observe a class tomorrow morning so I'll know more about the huge pluses there soon. It's 5 days a week, not my first choice for 'A'.

The Montessori school is ultimately my first choice for her. She would do very well in their environment. She is heavily into role play now and I love that they build on the child's natural inclinations. She's very independent, very secure doing her own thing, and she likes it when others respect that. But it's 5 days a week. And probably prohibitively expensive, although I won't know how much it is until we fill out the financial aid paperwork.


In the grand scheme of things, it's really not a big deal. But in terms of our family life, it is a big deal. So many things to think about. And I'm running out of time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!