So, after spending much of the night awake in 'H's room while we worked through her fever and night sweats, I am left wondering how I ever functioned when I was a sleep-deprived mother of babies. I can see staying up for one night, maybe two... but doing it night after night for months?

Oh yeah, now I remember what went through my mind when 'H' was first born. That first night I thought, "This is a nightmare! I can't believe I forgot about this part of the job! It's all coming back to me now."

Anyway, she will be fine, she just needs a little time to rest.

Jeff and I have been painting the kitchen and dining room. We think we picked a good color - Ben Moore's "Vellum" - and it looks like we have two more evenings of painting and then we are done! Good thing, too, because I'm starting to go a little crazy looking at my kitchen appliances grouped together in the middle of the kitchen table.

I've got two books and a knitting project open right now. My knitting project is another one of my ways of "reusing, reducing and recycling" - I'm knitting a reusable grocery tote bag out of plastic bags. Here is a link to a website that gives instructions on how to do it: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_needle_arts/article/0,2025,DIY_13768_3059465,00.html
It's kind of funky! I stopped taking in new plastic bags a while ago - I bring my own bags everywhere I go or I do without for small purchases - and I love knowing that I'm using my existing bags for something good instead of throwing them away. My last frontier on the plastic grocery bag issue involves the cat box. I just switched from the clay litter to biodegradable litter and I am still using a plastic bag to take out the dirty litter. What am I supposed to do? Scoop it into a can and dump it outside? I can't make my cats go outside to do their thing - Miss Fragile 1 and Miss Fragile 2 would never go for it.


Books:
The Forger's Spell: A True Story of Vermeer, Nazis, and the Greatest Art Hoax of the Twentieth Century is a story about all the good things in life - art, history, drama and a bunch of psychology thrown in. The neat thing about this story is that it explores why so many people blindly jumped on the bandwagon of admiring the forged Vermeer when it was obviously a poorly made fake. Why do we convince ourselves that something is fabulous when it's not? What do we get out of it?

Poisoned Profits: The Toxic Assault on Our Children is an eye-opener. It's a comprehesive review of different types of pollutants in our environment - our water, soil, food sources, air, etc... and how they are affecting us, particularly our children. There are is an appendix that is chock-full of good information about how to reduce our exposure to pollutants. There is also info about how to find out how much pollution is in your area. I found out by going to www.scorecard.org that my county, Saratoga County in upstate New York, is one of the dirtiest counties in the United States when it comes to air pollution. So, even if I were to protect my family by using all natural products and eating all natural food, we would still be taking in harmful chemicals just by breathing.

Knowing what kinds of chemicals are in the air and in our water gives me even more of a reason to get more serious about protecting us from chemicals we don't have to bring into our home. Why put more into our bodies than we have to?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!