Today was a great day.

The service at church had a Native American theme to it, and the title was, "Honoring Our Mother Earth." There was chanting and a totem pole and even a smudge ceremony! It was a wonderful reminder that there are many ways to respect the Earth. It's amazing to think that the Native American cultures not only survived but thrived by respecting and trusting nature. Jeff and I are inspired to learn more.


We all got to take home a spruce sapling from church and those of us who put a little something in the offering basket got a packet of wildflower seeds. After 'H's nap we planted both.


Jeff taught 'A' how to water the tree.


A Navajo Night Chant:

May it be happy before me.
May it be happy behind me.
May it be happy below me.
May it be happy above me.
With it happy all around me, may I walk.
It is finished in beauty...
It is finished in beauty.


We planted the wildflower seeds in the backyard, near a big patch of existing wildflowers. We know that they like it back there.


"Grandmother Earth, hear me! The two-leggeds, the four-leggeds, the wingeds, all that move upon You are Your children. With all beings and all things we shall be as relatives; just as we are related to you, O Mother." - Black Elk


I found something super-cool online. A toothbrush made out of recycled plastic! Not only that, but when you're done with it, you send it back and they use it to make other recycled materials. HOW COOL IS THAT? At $2.79 per toothbrush, I think it sounds like something we'll start purchasing. Best of all, they are not only sold online but at local retailers. I love it! Check it out here: http://preserveproducts.com/products/toothbrush.html


Our established wildflowers are happy, and are already coming up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!