a Mother's Day party


Today 'A's class had a Mother's Day celebration and invited all of the mothers (and grandmothers) to come and sit and listen to songs and eat snacks. Some of the nursing home residents came to join us too. I sat in the seat that was chosen for me by 'A' and listened to her sing a few songs with her classmates. She put together a plate of food for me and brought it over with a cup of juice, and then went and got her own plate and cup. After, she told me that it made her feel very grown up to get my food for me. Well, good! She can do that anytime and feel as grown up as she pleases...

All the kids gave their mothers a flower at the party and that is mine, above.


This is my leggy sage, which I should have cut back but did not because I wanted to see what would happen to it. The leaves are already tough and it's only May. I guess this is what happens to it.

Speaking of mothers, my mother showed the photo of the bird eggs in the nest to one of the naturalists at the Audubon sanctuary and right away she said it was a house finch. Mom told me that the eggs will hatch soon and 2 weeks after, the birds will all fall from the nest and spend a week hopping around on the ground as they learn to fly. "Oh my! The driveway is under the nest! Should I put pillows under it?" No, she said, but one thing to do is keep my cats indoors during the time that the baby birds are on the ground. Hmmm... a week of letting Grace suffer indoors, mewing constantly and wanting to go out, or a week of picking up the baby bird carcasses she brings me... it's not a hard decision.


Here is
a post from the New York Times about the topic of our mothers and Mother's Day. There are some very good questions on this list and I have already forwarded it to my mother and sisters to give them a chance to review it before we sit down and ask her for the answers.

Questions We Should All Ask Mom

By Lisa Belkin
There are so many questions I wish I had asked my father before he died. In this month’s Real Simple magazine, Judith Newman, a mother of twin boys in Manhattan, covers many of them, in a list of 10 things she suggests we all ask our mothers this Sunday. On her list:

  • What’s the one thing you would have done differently as a mom?

  • Why did you choose to be with my father?

  • In what ways do you think I’m like you?

  • Which one of us kids did you like the best?

  • Is there anything you have always wanted to tell me but never have?

  • Do you think it’s easier or harder to be a mother now than when you were raising our family?

  • Is there anything you regret not having asked your parents?

  • What’s the best thing I can do for you right now?

  • Is there anything that you wish had been different between us — or that you would still like to change?

  • When did you realize you were no longer a child?


Newman compiled her list by polling friends and mothers of friends, and many of the questions came all tangled up with the answers. (The Real Simple website does not have the full story, but it is reprinted online at CNN.com)

What would one friend’s mother have done differently? “I should have let them fail,” Newman quotes her as saying. “When my daughter forgot to do her homework, I shouldn’t have done it for her. When the other one got caught shoplifting, I should have let her spend a night in jail.”

What did those who’d lost their parents wished they had asked? “Did you ever think about leaving my dad for someone else?” and “Did you ever want to just throw in the towel?” and “What music do you want played at your funeral?” Newman writes: “People regretted what they hadn’t asked — never what they had.”

And when did Newman’s Mom realize she was no longer a child?: “I knew it when my own mother died, That’s the last time there would be anyone in the world who always put me before herself,” she told her daughter. It startled Newman, because she knows that will one day be her answer, too.

What would you want to ask your mother? What would you want your children to ask you? What do you think the answers might be?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!