tying up loose ends


I feel like I lived a thousand lives today, and I feel like a new person. We spent the morning tying up a million of my loose ends. I've been cleaning and organizing like a mad woman these last few days, and today we went to the thrift shop to drop off a donation, to the shelter to drop off another pair of children's pajamas that 'A' got for her birthday, to the store to return some stuff, to another store to buy some stuff... I don't know about you, but my life runs in very distinct cycles, and sometimes I have it all "together" and sometimes I don't. I'm cycling back into having it together after a very long time of not. This morning I tied up a few important loose ends.


This afternoon was spent very differently! I put 'H' down for a nap and then 'A' and I went to the backyard and piled up pillows on the lawn and we both rested and took quick naps. Well, I napped, and I have no idea what she was doing while I was napping. It was really nice to nap outdoors, feeling the light breeze pass by, listening to the birds, and feeling the bugs crawl around me. Wonderful! I can't think of a nicer way to spend the afternoon. It completely relaxed me after my go-go-go morning.


Now that the weather is warmer, I'm starting to prepare dinners outdoors again. It's so nice to sit and prep vegetables in the grass. It's like having an outdoor kitchen, but instead of it being one of those fancy California outdoor kitchens, mine is more similar to what you might find in another country. I just take my bowl of beans out to the backyard and sit and snap them up.


I've been reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. It's about the family's one year journey to eat only what they grow in their own garden. It's given me a lot to think about. First of all, eating locally in the south is far different than eating locally in upstate New York, but still, there are bare months in the south too. We've slowly cut out eggs, meat and now dairy, and we've committed to cutting out processed food. That leaves pretty much just whole grains, vegetables, beans and fruits for us. Now that we're traveling on this path, our eyes are more open to the bigger questions than they were before. As long as we're not eating the animal products or the chemicals in processed foods, why not just go organic in every way we can? So we did. And as long as we're paying attention to that, why not eat locally? It will certainly cut down on our food transportation carbon footprint and the local food we get is mostly organic. Not to mention, we're supporting local small businesses. I do go to the Farmer's Market and stock up, but I haven't yet made the transition to all local food. One thing at a time.

I'm also trying to separate what Jeff does for a living from my thoughts of going all local. Moving food across the country, no matter how eco-friendly the transportation is, is still not supporting local eating!


The farm we belong to opens up in a few weeks and our garden will be in a full swing soon too, so this summer I can ease into local eating and see how it feels.

For now I'm going to have a glass of local water and feel good about that. Have a great night!






0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!