Rain today


Rain today. Some might say "torrential downpour." If I didn't have to go to the farm today to pick up our share, I wouldn't have. It wasn't raining at our house when I left, but by the time I got to Mechanicville, the NWS was issuing a flash-flood advisory for exactly the spot I was in! There was quite a bit of water on the streets and I held my breath until we were heading back home on high ground.

The "S" vegetable was squash. And we got 6 cucumbers. SIX. If I don't pickle them, which I won't because I won't have time before I leave for the weekend, what will I do with them? Tonight we made this cucumber salad and it was delightful.

Sesame Cucumber Salad (from Cooking Light)

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups (2-inch) julienne-cut English cucumber (about 1 large)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup red bell pepper strips
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Preparation
Place cucumber in a colander; sprinkle with salt. Toss well. Drain for 20 minutes. Combine cucumber and bell pepper in a medium bowl.

Combine vinegar, ginger, and oil, stirring with a whisk. Pour over cucumber mixture; toss gently to coat. Stir in crushed red pepper and black pepper.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!