Celebrating the new season


We held our "Fall Celebration" tonight. Yesterday the girls collected leaves and made crowns for all of us, we took out some books about the seasons from the library, and I gathered together a candle to represent each one.

We lit the candles and as we did, we said what we liked best about each season. We all agree that we like all the seasons. Jeff and 'A' feel more strongly about that statement than I do, but I do appreciate them all. I read stories and poems and we closed with each of us blowing out a candle that represented the season of our choice. I blew out summer, and it hurt just a little bit to say goodbye.

Tonight as I was tucking 'A' into bed, she reminded me that Mother Nature is ready for us to move to the next season, and that spring and summer will come again, and it will all be okay. Children can be so wonderful and reassuring when you need it most.


"Come said the wind to
the leaves one day,
Come o're the meadows
and we will play.
Put on your dresses
scarlet and gold,
For summer is gone
and the days grow cold."
- A Children's Song of the 1880's

"October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came-
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band."
- George Cooper, October's Party


Still painting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!