Revoluntionary War Encampment


Have I mentioned lately how much I love living here? There's so much to do, all the time. I'm sure there were things to do in Norwich, where I spent most of my childhood, but it just didn't seem as obvious or accessible. Not only is there always something interesting happening here, most of the time there's more than one event at a time, forcing us to really pick and choose how we spend our time.


Today we went to the Revolutionary War encampment at the Saratoga Battlefield. What a beautiful place! We love to go there, especially in the fall (or almost fall...). It was a nice continuation of the "olden days" theme the girls have been connecting with this past week.


For the first time in my life, I'm NOT ready for fall. I'm not looking forward to it and I'm feeling angry that it's coming. This year summer wasn't hot and sticky enough and I'm not sick of it yet. And I might mention, this summer was my first year as a small-scale vegetable farmer (I had a backyard garden) and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I would love to garden year-round. I know that as the days grow shorter and the weather gets colder, my attention will be turned elsewhere and I'll enjoy the way we spend our days, but right now I'm fighting the end of summer and I'm very down about the change of season.

This attitude isn't very respectful of Mother Nature, is it? Summer will come again, just as it always does, and perhaps I should spend some time appreciating all I've done during this summer season and look forward to the changes ahead. When my kids get cranky and want more, more, more of something they can't have, I remind them that they should feel more grateful that they even got to have the desired item or experience in the first place. I might take some time to reflect on my own advice.


But first I'm going to kiss my sleeping children's heads. Have a wonderful final weekend of summer!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!