sage


I realized yesterday that now that 'H' stopped nursing (at least I think she stopped - it's been about a week without a request from her), a whole new world of herbal tea is open to me. Sage tea has so many medicinal uses and for the past several years where I've been either pregnant or nursing or both, I haven't been able to use it. The timing couldn't be better - with the autumn and winter cold and flu season upon us, sage tea is the perfect "feel good" remedy.


It rained all day today. We did not make it to the Halloween party and we were sad to have missed it. We did however make it to the farm for our last pick-up and I was just as sad as I thought I would be to see the season end. The sky was dark; the ground was muddy; and the air was heavy with... emotion?


I'm still feeling the tug of sadness about the end of autumn and the winter season ahead. This poem by Mary Oliver was sent to us by Justine Denison, one of the owners of Denison Farm, where we pick up our produce each week. I like it - it understand it, and it understands me.

Song For Autumn
In the deep fall
don’t you imagine the leaves think how
comfortable it will be to touch
the earth instead of the
nothingness of the air and the endless
freshets of wind? And don’t you think
the trees themselves, especially those with mossy,
warm caves, begin to think
of the birds that will come – six, a dozen – to sleep
inside their bodies? And don’t you hear
the goldenrod whispering goodbye,
the everlasting being crowned with the first
tuffets of snow? The pond
vanishes, and the white field over which
the fox runs so quickly brings out
its blue shadows. And the wind pumps its
bellows. And at evening especially,
the piled firewood shifts a little,
longing to be on its way.







One last look before we go....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!