Today was a big day, in an unexpected big thoughts kind of a way. It's been a while now that Jeff and I have been making an effort to eat locally and watch our consumption. For me, it's not so much about moving away from the typical American diet as it is about moving toward a lifestyle of incorporating our ideals into our everyday life. I think about it, but mostly in positive terms. I do still go to the grocery store but only to purchase things like dish soap, orange juice, rice milk, and margarine. We get our vegetables and fruit from local sources now (gosh do we eat a lot of apples these days!) and I make my own bread, croutons, bread crumbs and salad dressing. I still buy my flour at the store but am excited to check out a local wheat farm soon to see if I can source local flour.

I knew that moving toward a local diet would mean making a shift in our eating habits, and I knew that it would be accompanied by a mental shift as well, but I wasn't prepared for the emotional shift. Today I walked into the grocery store and I wanted to buy some mushrooms. It was my first trip to the produce department in a long time. Our produce department is pretty darn full of all kinds of things from all over the world. No matter what time of year it is, you can count on finding what you want. I stood there and was really surprised by my reaction. I think it comes close to culture shock. Asparagus and strawberries were on display, front and center. "Who is growing all of those at this time of year?" I thought. Then I saw the pineapples, the green beans, the tomatoes, the bananas, and it was too much to take in. Something that was once a welcome sight looked all wrong to me today. It wasn't just the type of produce available: it was that there was so much of it, all on display in this big, overlit room. And it's not like this was the only store for miles around - I know perfectly well that there are many other area grocery stores that have this same set up.

The last time I had this feeling was just after I returned home from a year in France. Things are so different in Europe - the overconsumption isn't as obvious, and when I got back here and went into a grocery store for the first time, I was in shock. It was worse than today's reaction, because back then I turned and ran in tears, unable to figure out how to handle it.


On the positive side, I'll tell you something I realized this week about our local diet. It has so much flavor! Everything we eat is bursting with ready-to-eat flavor and goodness. Our taste buds are more alive than ever, savoring every bite. Wow, what a wonderful difference this is. I love it. There's no turning back.

Something else I love: take a look at these Halloween decorations 'A' made today. She is so creative! She does her best work when it's unprompted. She took it upon herself to decorate the "entire house" for the holiday, and made (with no assistance at all) a bat, a witch on a broomstick, a spider and a ghost. My girl!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!