Turning leftovers into bread

I think I love turning leftovers into bread even more than I love turning them into veggie burgers. Tonight I made roasted root veggie bread, using the celeriac, sweet potato, turnip, onion, garlic and rosemary mix I made on Saturday. I made up the recipe and it's my first try at using vegetables in yeast bread, so bear with me... but it can be done! Here's what I did:

Dissolve 2 teaspoons yeast in 1 1/4 c. warm water
add:
1 cup roasted root veggies
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3 Tablespoons wheat gluten (to make up for the lack of gluten in the vegetables)
3 + cups of flour, enough to make a soft dough

Mix it together and knead until soft and smooth. I let it rise once in a greased bowl until doubled and then a second time in two bread tins. I baked it at 425 for 30 minutes. It came out of the oven hard as a rock but softened up as it cooled. This is a bread that goes well with soup!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!