Living for tomorrow


So, today was one of those days where I said, "Thank goodness there will be a tomorrow, and we can just do this day all over again, and hopefully get more things right!" Not that it was horrible, or that I was horrible, or that the girls were horrible, but I have to say, I'm looking forward to tomorrow.


Jeff's parents were visiting for a few days and left early this morning, before the girls and I awoke. 'A' and 'H' were sad that they didn't get up early enough to see their grandma and grandpa before they left. Actually, they were up early enough this morning, if you count numerous wake ups between 2 and 4 am. But they weren't up at the magical hour of 6 am when they might have all crossed paths. By the time we woke up for real, their grandparents were gone.

I had to take my car to the shop to have a tire repaired today and I had some work to do for a client, and I had a little Christmas plan arranging to do with my sisters and parents today, and all of that administrative stuff just got us all in a bit of a tizzy. After lunch I breathed a big sigh of relief and vowed to do nothing but play with the girls. So far, so good. We were back on track. We headed outside to enjoy the beautiful weather (and left from the front door, not the back door, because Grace left a dismembered mouse out there for Jeff, her favorite owner).


As it turns out, we're hosting some of the family Christmas festivities this year and I said to the girls, "we'll have to think about how to decorate the house for the holidays this year," to which 'A' said, "I'll gather some things from nature!" I tell you, in that very moment, I knew that my work was done. Any child who believes that decorating for an occasion means bringing in gifts from nature is a child of mine, one I am wholeheartedly proud of.

And then, because today was one of those days I want to do over, she promptly brought her bucket of treasures, complete with a huge pile of dirt, inside and emptied it on the kitchen table. It was really not what I had in mind, or could mentally handle, especially since her sister had knocked over a plant a few moments earlier and spilled cups of soil all over the carpet. Have I mentioned that I have an aversion to messes, especially ones that come one after another and are unexpected? I said, "I'm not going to yell," more as a way of telling myself to please not go ballistic on these kids, and the looks on their faces were nothing but amusement. But today was a day I want to do over, and there was no way for me to communicate about right and wrong in that situation. Or communicate at all. I did everything I could to protect us all and that meant letting that teaching moment pass us right by.

I got up the table dirt. The carpet dirt has decided to stay stuck in the fibers until the carpet cleaning guy comes over.


Tonight I could have used some time to enjoy my family, but I had to rush out to a few UU meetings, and I came back home after they had gone to bed. I miss them. I really do.

Tomorrow is another day, right? A new day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!