today is going so much better!


Today is much better, thank you. In between story time at the library and a trip to the store, we have been playing, playing, playing. During our Quiet Alone Time, 'H' got into 'A's lip gloss stash and came down to show me how wonderful she looked. 'A' thought it was so funny that she made up her face, too.


We're having another beautiful week, weather-wise. Nothing beats running around the yard in just our sweaters. No coats. No mittens. No hats. We'll be thinking of these days in just a short time!


I saw a children's book at the library about a pilgrim woman named Goody O'Grumpity who baked a cake full of wonderful spices such as ginger, cloves, cinnamon and allspice. It got me thinking about making molasses crinkles today with the girls. I checked out the book and we read it while we mixed the cookie dough. They always enjoy cooking with me, learning about new ingredients, smelling spices, helping me measure and stir, and of course, when it comes to cookies, they love to taste the dough. And since we don't cook with eggs, I am more than happy to give them a guilt-free taste!


'H' did a great job of rolling her cookie dough into balls and dipping each one in the sugar. She's a natural with her hands. 'A's cookies came out a little lumpy, but all were delicious!


This is the recipe I use for Molasses Crinkles. It comes from my mother, and the original recipe calls for vegetable shortening and eggs instead of Earth Balance margarine and ground flaxseeds. Shortening is pretty gross, and pretty bad for our bodies, so I don't use it, but if you want to know the truth, the cookies do taste great when it's used. Ahhh.... I do love those 1970's memories...


Mom's Molasses Crinkles

Blend together:
3/4 cup of some solid fat product: shortening, butter, margarine, etc.
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg (or a flaxseed & water equivalent)
1/4. cup molasses

Add:
2 1/4 cups flour or enough to make the dough stiff enough to roll into balls without sticking to your hands (I found I need almost 3 cups with the Earth Balance margarine)
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt

Chill the dough for an hour, then roll small balls and dip them in granulated sugar. I've seen recipes that swear by confectioner's sugar for this step, but I tried it last year and was completely disappointed. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until just cracked on top. If you let the cookies brown, they will cool into hard little pucks, so watch the cooking time. Store in an air tight container to keep them soft. And enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!