Composting


Hi there. I told you yesterday that I signed up to participate in Hip Mountain Mama's One Small Change project. It didn't take much thought to see that I need to address the issue of compost in our house. Over the summer we bought a big black compost bin and put it in our sunniest location. Fast forward several months later, and the bin is full. It's winter here, which means lots of freezing weather and snow, and our compost pile isn't moving along as quickly as we would like. The pails we fill in the kitchen are piling up with nowhere to go. We're at a compost crisis point - what do we do? We have to start a new pile, obviously, but where? In the woods? Covered? What about our animal friends - the deer, racoons, squirrels, foxes, coydogs, black bears? Will they want to start spending all of their time in our backyard? What happens when the real snow comes in - the foot deep snow? Will I want to trudge back to the woods?


What about our current pile? How often do we turn it? What is the right balance of things to add? What will the quality of the compost be? When might it be ready to use in the garden and on the lawn?


These are some of my questions, and you've got a month to follow me as I post the answers here.


In the meantime, I was out shoveling the snow from the driveway this morning and saw something I never thought I would see - droppy, sad-looking snow on my car. Maybe it wanted to be on the ground with the other flakes?


While I was outside, the girls were inside staying warm and drawing pictures of dinosaurs. They also made "a piano" out of some glasses and water, and used markers to tap the instruments and make music. I just love my girls! They are so creative!




2 comments:

Hip Mountain Mama Says:

Thanks for joining the challenge! We have that same compost bin and have been composting for a few years now. I have to admit that my husband takes care of most of it and I am so glad that he does!
Good luck and I look forward to hearing how it all goes!
Suzy

Mama Jillian Says:

Suzy I am so glad you started the challenge! It always helps me to make things into a little game & have a challenge. It just makes it all more fun.
Jillian

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!