Yesterday at the farmer's market I got:

arugula
baby bok choy/Asian greens salad mix
golden beets
yellow onions
rutabaga
butternut and carnival squash
white turnips with greens attached
honey
swiss chard

and this is what I made for dinner:

Get Better Quick Soup

This soup is so tasty and creamy. I love soup made with barley. The only thing that could make this soup better would be the addition of some white beans, but I didn't have any on hand last night. I hope you enjoy it.

1 yellow onion, diced
4 carrots, diced
1 medium rutabaga, peeled and diced
4 jerusalem artichokes, peeled and diced
1/2 cup pearl barley, uncooked
several cups of stock
shredded swiss chard (about 1 1/2 cups)

Saute the onions until translucent. Add the next five ingredients and cook for at least one hour, until the barley is tender, adding more water or stock if necessary. Before serving, add the swiss chard and stir to wilt. Serve and feel healthier!


All of the members of my little family are still sick. This cold and the accompanying fever really hang on! I'm still feeling great, so I'm going to scoot off to the UU (Unitarian Universalist) service soon to get some fresh air and work in the nursery.

Sending out healthy vibes to you and your family...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!