Kohlrabi


Let's talk about food.

When we started eating locally grown veggies at the end of last winter, I saw the greens that were sold at the farmer's market, but wondered about other green vegetables... you know, green beans, broccoli, peas. Things that give your plate a variety of colors.

It's taken me a while this winter to figure out how it all works. There are a LOT of vegetables at the farmer's market in our area. We go to the Saratoga Springs, NY farmer's market every Saturday morning to buy our food for the week. It's a fairly large winter market, but we're so far north and I must believe that towns south of us have an abundance also.

Last Saturday, we bought kohlrabi. It's a member of the brassica (cabbage) family. The name has a German origin, the combination of two words meaning "cabbage" and "turnip". It is related to broccoli, cabbage and caulifower. After I peel the tough skin and steam or roast it, it tastes like the stem of broccoli.

Because it tastes like broccoli, and it grows in the winter, I think it counts as a green vegetable, don't you?

Like many of the winter vegetables, it's high in Vitamin C, and high in potassium. It's also a great source of fiber.

I have cooked it two ways: roasted and steamed. When I roast it, I cut off the tough, outer peel and cut the flesh into large pieces. Toss them with some olive oil and roast in a 400 degree oven until tender. Tonight I steamed it. I left the skin on until after it was steamed, then cut the skin off, cut the pieces up, and served it warm.

So there you have it... kohlrabi! A wonderful addition to the winter table.

Now let's talk about health... specifically, Neti Pots. I talked to my dad and found out that he and Mimi got our cold last week. Jeff's mom got it over the weekend. I'm finishing it up, as is 'A'. My dad said his doctor told him to use a neti pot. Jeff used ours all last week, and he reminded me tonight that I need to start using it again. So I did, and I'm so happy about it! What a wonderful way to scoot that cold out the door. I highly recommend it.

I wish you good health! Goodness knows I'm trying to find some for myself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!