Wednesday


I've been adding some new recipes to my collection. Not all of them are easy, everyday recipes, but so far they've been delicious and have served the purpose of making me want to eat tasty food again.

This is what I made the other night, swapping out the green beans for turnips and the cilantro leaves for shredded cabbage (because that's what we have at the farmer's market). I toned down the amount of curry paste. This was a nice dish!

Fiery Tofu and Coconut Curry Soup

Ingredients
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/4 cup red curry paste
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
2 (13.5-ounce) cans light coconut milk
2 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup thinly sliced peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 cups thinly sliced carrot (about 4)
1 1/2 cups (1-inch) pieces green beans (8 ounces)
1 (14-ounce) package water-packed soft tofu, drained and cut into (1-inch) cubes
3/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves

Preparation
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic to pan; sauté 30 seconds or until lightly browned. Add curry paste; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add brown sugar; cook 1 minute. Stir in coconut milk, broth, juice, ginger, and soy sauce. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 hour. Add carrot; cook for 6 minutes. Add beans, and cook 4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add tofu to pan, and cook 2 minutes. Garnish with cilantro leaves.


This is what I made last night, swapping out the chickpeas for cannellini beans (I eat tons of chickpeas but have a soft spot for cannellinis in soup). I left out the celery and parsley, again because I don't have any here. This soup surprised me with its richness. It tasted like a meal but went down like a soup. YUM.

Italian Chickpea Soup
From Vegetarian Times

Ingredients

4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 medium onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
1 small bay leaf
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/8-1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 16-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (6 cups)
1 stalk celery, finely diced (1/2 cup)
1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus a few sprigs for garnish

1. Bring broth, onion, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, oregano, cayenne pepper, and 2 cups water to a boil in large saucepan over medium heat. Simmer 5 minutes. Add chickpeas, sweet potatoes, celery, and mustard, and simmer 10 to 12 minutes more, or until vegetables are very soft.

2. Mash vegetables and chickpeas to chunky purée with potato masher or large spoon. (Chickpeas will remain mostly whole.) Stir in parsley, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Garnish each serving with parsley sprig.


Tonight I'm using all of the wonderful, soft, fluffy and tasty shiitake mushrooms I got at Jeremy Zehr's booth at the farmer's market on Saturday. I love them so much! He gets $10 for each box he sells but they are one of those delicacies that are just worth every penny. I'm going to sauté them in some broth, wine and caramelized onions, and add them to a hot plate of fettuccine. Alongside, I'll serve a salad of mixed greens (thanks to Michael, who grows our winter veggies, we have fresh greens a few times a week) with black eyed peas and balsamic dressing. It's a dinner of earthy, buttery goodness. I can't wait to eat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!