Volcano Experiment


The volcano experiment was fun and a little funny today, for me anyway.

I put in two jars: 2 tablespoons of baking soda, 2 tablespoons of clear dish soap, and a few drops of orange food coloring. We took it outside, buried it so it looked like a volcano, and added 1/4 cup white vinegar. Then we sat back and watched it erupt.

It wasn't actually that simple. A lot of time has gone into the volcano project in our house. The girls have had an obsession with volcanos recently and we've read a lot about them. They incorporate erupting volcanoes in their play. Before we set these experimental ones off, I showed them what happens when vinegar is added to baking soda. I explained that the experiment is less of a way to show how a real volcano works and more of a way to show that interesting things can happen when a few substances are added together.

We all took turns adding the vinegar to the jars and then 'H' decided that she was afraid of the hot lava and she ran back to the house...

...and 'A' was nervous about touching it because she was afraid it would be hot...

...and I started to wonder why this experiment is made to look like a volcano at all!

We should have just called this one the "Fizzy Baking Soda Experiment." I might do it again soon, calling it just that.






2 comments:

Hip Mountain Mama Says:

We might have to try the fizzy baking soda experiment...my kids would love it!

Mama Jillian Says:

It was easy to do and fun to watch, no matter how old everyone is - I enjoyed it too!

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!