Saturday: Farmer's Market, gardening, relaxation


Jeff and I did a ton of hard work today, adding peat moss to the garden beds, transplanting some perennials, and staking out the new expanded garden site. The girls played hard today in the sandbox, helped Jeff water the transplants, and spent time relaxing and laughing in the hammock.


Jeff is painting our bedroom as I write this. I've got my fingers crossed that we'll be moved back in soon! I've got a date with the shovel on Tuesday, one of our only below-80 degree day this coming week, and I'm looking forward to turning the 11' x 11' grassy area next to our raised vegetable beds into a lush vegetable-producing garden plot.


We took home from the Farmer's Market:

turnips with the greens still attached
mesculin mix
mustard greens
red potatoes

This is a light week for us, and I have no idea how I'll make these four things stretch all week. Our CSA membership for the winter is over and we have 4 weeks until our summer CSA starts. I'm looking forward to it... we'll be picking up at the farm again this year.


Grace caught a bunny rabbit the other day (and killed it). It was her first "big kill" (bigger than a chipmunk) and she was really proud. I'm feeling neutral about it. Cats kills other animals. That's all there is to it. Today I was outside examining the phlox, wondering why half of the flowers were sheared off, and then I realized that a rabbit must have eaten it. And then I looked over and saw that it was right next to Grace's hang-out spot in the flower garden and that she may well have pounced on the rabbit just as it was eating the phlox up. Huh. Imagine that.


What a great day we had today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!