finally some squash!


Finally those first squashes I pollinated by hand have grown to full size. These are Ronde de Nice squash, something I didn't choose purposely, but am happy with anyway. They were sold at our Unitarian Universalist plant sale and I bought two plants, thinking, "why not?" They're round and are perfect for stuffing.

The girls just pushed their chair away and went to play. They had pulled the chairs around me and asked me to tell them a story, to which I said, "why don't I start the story and pass it on to the two of you to finish?" We were Ma, Mary and Laura (from Little House on the Prairie, of course - as if we would pretend to be anyone else!). They're so cute right now. They're not always cute - sometimes 'A' gets very physical and bossy, and sometimes 'H' gets very whiny, but if I can get past all that, I can see that they're very cute.


I'm reading "Diet for a Hot Planet: the Climate Crisis at the End of Your Fork and What You Can Do About It" by Anna Lappe and sure, we don't eat factory farmed meat (or any meat, for that matter) and we try to eat locally (and we do, as far as our veggies and fruit is concerned, 95% of the time - 'A' loves frozen corn and peas and buy those at the grocery store), but there is something more to be learned from this book than just the importance of eating low on the food chain. It's startling to see the real numbers... to see what our current food system is really doing to our planet. If we (Americans) don't stop eating so much meat and processed food, it's a matter of time - a very short amount of time (within my lifespan, long before I even become a grandma) - before our environment caves under the pressure we put on it. So much food is fertilized, processed and shipped with help from the oil refineries. Unless your food comes from an organic farm, it's made with oil. Gross! When I connect all the dots - risky deep water oil production, long-distance food supply, the obesity epidemic, the steep rise in food allergies, ADD and the like, high pesticide use, fractured families, stressed out individuals, and our threatened water supply, it's sometimes too much to think about. At the risk of sounding too spiritual (which is funny because I'm a UU and some of us are pretty skeptical of that phrase), I would add the decline of spirituality to that list. Definitely the decline of a sense of local community. And yes, I do put stressed out individuals and fractured families in with the food issue because I do believe that you are what you eat, and you are how you eat. And if you're eating chemically-treated stressed out animals and chemically-treated stressed plants grown in stressed soil, gobbling it down while you're doing 100 other things, then it's just a matter of time before the stress comes to you. And by "you", I mean all of us, not you specifically.

What is going on here?
Where are we - the collective we - going?
What is our children's world going to look like?

1 comments:

Erika Says:

I bet the squash was super yummy! It's so nice that we have such a great community for local food. I'm so thankful to live here. I wish this trend could spread like wildfire though.

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!