I feel like today has been such an agricultural and cooking day for us, but really, what day isn't anymore? The girls and I went strawberry picking for the last time this season today, so yes, we're looking at another round of fresh jam, another strawberry cobbler, more salads with strawberries and toasted pecans, and another week of strawberries for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm holding tight to this short season.


Speaking of food seasons, I've learned a lot from this past year of eating seasonal produce. I've learned about the importance of preserving as much as possible so we can enjoy today's treats during the cold winter months that are going to be here before we know it. Today I harvested several herbs - thyme, lavender, rosemary, sage and oregano - and prepared them for drying. I froze handfuls of chopped chives to use in soups, sauces and salad dressings. In a few days, when the thyme and rosemary are air-dry, I'll add them to a bowl of table salt and we'll have herbed salt to use in cooking. I tied the sage into smudge sticks that we'll burn on buggy gardening days. The lavender is so pretty and I hesitate to chop it up, but I may use some of it in an herbs de provence mixture. More herbs will be harvested soon for flavored salad vinegars, and even more for tea.

Have I mentioned how much I love having a garden to tinker in?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!