It was so hot today that the girls and I decided to have a picnic lunch under the cool shade of our backyard trees instead of sitting on the warm deck. What a nice way to beat the heat! We also took a trip to our library to sign 'A' and 'H' up for the summer reading program. They handed out snow cones and 'A' sucked hers down pretty quickly, while 'H' dumped hers out and said it was so sweet it burned her mouth. I agree with her! The snow cone sweetness is a bit much.


I did so much laundry today, and I'm starting to think I should receive a medal for the amount of laundry I'm doing lately. Either a medal or a huge slap on the wrist for wasting so much water. I switched both girls to cloth diapers during the nights. The problem is that they leak! I keep trying to use different fabric for the diapers but I haven't found the right ones yet. Behavioral changes aren't working for us. They don't drink before bed, I wake them up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, and I put them in dry diapers after they get up. It doesn't fail, I'm waking up in the morning and washing two sets of sheets and a total of four diapers. Then I have the privilege of making up the beds at night. There has got to be a better way, and I know that disposable diapers aren't it.


Speaking of things that are more complicated than they need to be, our summer squash plants aren't doing well. We're growing Ronde de Nice (small, round and green); yellow crooknecks; zucchini; and patty pan squash. They're producing little squashes but the squash stops growing at 2 or so inches in length and rots on the vine. I called our county extension agent and spoke with my sister today (she's an experienced gardener) and after several phone conversations we all agree that the squash is facing a pollination problem. The squash develops and then needs to be pollinated, but we don't have any bees or enough butterflies this year to do it. Whether or not they come to our garden this summer, it is a fact that the bee population, which is so critical for pollinating and producing food, is declining at an alarming rate. No one knows why, but it's not hard to look around at our lifestyles and wonder if the electricity and electronics, the fertilizers and pesticides, the chemicals that we find everywhere are somehow to blame.

In the meantime, I'm left to hand-pollinate the squash. I'll be out there tomorrow morning with my cotton swab and my steady hand. I hope it works!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!