more strawberries...


Hi there,
If you feel like you're seeing a lot of strawberry photos lately, it's because you are! We went picking again today. I drove to the organic place and found that it was closed for the day (I should have called in advance, right?). Jeff said that there was another pick-your-own place down the road, but he didn't know if they sprayed with chemicals. I went over there and asked, and found out that they sprayed a fungicide last fall, but nothing since. I was faced with a dilemma. Pick the sprayed strawberries today, or go home and not pick again this week, and possibly miss the rest of strawberry season? I decided to pick, since the fruit wasn't sprayed directly. And here we are, sitting on another six quarts of fresh strawberries.

Today the girls and I ate them during all three meals: granola, coconut milk yogurt (I have to learn how to make that at home - it's expensive to buy), and strawberries in a big bowl for breakfast; sliced strawberries during lunch; and with dinner, the girls has them sliced while Jeff and I enjoyed a salad made with fresh mesculin mix from our garden, sliced strawberries, and toasted pecans with a red wine vinegar-honey dressing. Mmmmmm!

I have to say that the coconut milk yogurt is delicious, but I wonder where it comes from. It's obviously not a local food. Is it grown in the United States? Are the communities that produce it economically stable? Does the farming process hurt the planet? I have a lot to learn about it.


I have so many library books on my bookshelf just waiting for some attention from me. I finally dove into Wendell Berry's "Bringing it to the Table: On Farming and Food." Berry writes about farming and sustainable agriculture, and his writing is brilliant. There's a piece in the book about what our country would look like if we moved toward a local food economy, with each town and city dotted with diverse farms that would supply meat, vegetables, grains and dairy products. Not only would the number of farms increase, the number of businesses that support the farms would rise, the amount of fossil fuel used to transport food would fall; the soil erosion would decrease, and the quality of water in the streams and rivers would improve. All of this is possible, he says. The thing that's questionable is the human factor. Are humans willing to choose this lifestyle? Are they willing to give up convenience and year-round fruit options?


I'm willing to support the local food economy. Strawberry season has once again reminded me of all the reasons I love eating locally. It's easy to love local food when it's good and plentiful. But the real reason I love local eating is because of the "hungry months" of March and April. The months when we don't seem to have that much variety. Going without makes me so much more thankful for these times when we have more than we can eat and enjoy. There are very real seasons in nature and we're tied to them whether we try to be or not. Eating in season is an easy way to get in touch with the cyclical nature of... nature.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!