Yes, we made more strawberry jam... our last batch of the year. And speaking of food, I found something to do with all those radishes I had. I've been looking for vegetable cookbooks that give me new ideas. I can tell that the cookbook has potential when the recipes for radishes call for something other than chopping them up and adding them to salads. I can do that on my own, I don't need a cookbook for that! I took "Vegetables Every Day" by Jack Bishop out of the library and I think I might want to purchase it and keep it forever. I made Braised Red Radishes for dinner this weekend and they were good! Try it, I hope you'll like it!

20 medium radishes, with leaves, stems and rootlets removed (about 1 pound when trimmed)
1 T unsalted butter
1 medium shallot, minced (substitute minced onion if you don't have shallots on hand)
1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
1 T honey
Salt
1 T minced fresh parsley leaves (optional, in my mind!)

1. Unless very small, halve the radishes lengthwise from stem to root end.
2. Reduce the stock by one half by simmering in a saucepan or the microwave.
3. Melt the butter in a large lidded saute pan. Add the shallot and saute over medium heat until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the radishes and stir-cook until well coated with butter, about 1 minute.
4. Add the stock and honey, cover, and cook until the radishes are tender but not soft, about 10 minutes. Remove the cover, season with salt to taste, and simmer to allow any juices in the pan to reduce to a glaze, about 1 minute. Garnish with the parsley and serve immediately.


We all went to the "Hands across the sand" rally near our home on Saturday to protest off- and near-shore drilling, and to promote renewable energy. I wasn't surprised to see a few fellow Unitarians there.

The squash plants in the garden are very happy now that I've taken over fertilization. I get up every morning and head right out, putting the pollen from the male flowers on the female flowers. The squash are getting big and are almost ready to eat. This morning I found evidence of aphids on the squash and some cabbage looper caterpillars on the brussels sprouts, so I'll pick up some "Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew" and spray things down. Ahhh, the joys of gardening! Just when I start to think it's all going along okay, something comes up.

This weekend we ate squash blossoms for the first time and I have to say, I think it's just an excuse to eat fried food. That's essentially what it was - flavorless fried food. Now we can cross that experience off the list. We also ate veggie burgers, salad - lots and lots of salad, and sugar snap peas. This time of year is wonderful - there's so much food to choose from.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!