Friday


:: Breakfast ::

There was a different energy about today. For starters, the weather was warm. We enjoyed all three meals outside. And the trees are bursting with color and losing leaves already. But it was more than that. I had things to do today, but I somehow managed to stay focused on the basics - my children, my home, our meals, and things I was doing for others because I genuinely wanted to. There were obligations on the calendar, such as gymnastics class for 'H', and I had to prepare a few roasted root vegetable tarts for a friend at the UU church who bid on my tarts at the auction a few months ago. But those obligations felt like pleasures after the week I've had.

I've come to realize that there is too much going on in my life. I have work; volunteer work; motherhood; teaching 'A'; maintaining our home; having fun; and being creative. It doesn't all fit into the hours of the day. I won't be working that much longer. The rest is on-going. Now the question is, how do I balance it? If I make an effort to be uber-organized, keeping perfect track of our schedules, keeping up with my to-do list, I inevitably find that I feel constrained and tied down. On the other hand, if I don't keep track of what we're doing and let things sneak up on me, I feel lost and overwhelmed most of the time... but I do have moments of purely spontaneous happiness. I'm better able to relax in the moment, and that makes me feel better overall.

What to do? Cut down is one idea. Here I am, homeschooling my girls, and one of the reasons is because I don't want to be on the go all the time. And here I am, on the go all the time. There has to be a better way. It's going to take some time to find my way.


:: Roasted root vegetable tarts ::


:: Caren's flags to honor the fallen soldiers in Iraq ::

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!