feeling better!


The "quiet time" routine is working for me. My neck, shoulder and arm pain is significantly better. Today I sewed and sewed the aforementioned Halloween costume, then went for a walk in the woods with 'A' and 'H'. It's warm and sunny here, the perfect pick-me-up mid-autumn day.


I've been reading about the Alexander Technique and how it can help my pain. I've come to understand that I stand, sit and move in ways that are causing my pain. It's not like I sustained an injury and as a result I have shoulder pain. The cause of it is my posture and my tense neck and shoulder muscles that are out of alignment day after day. Finally it got to be too much for my body to bear. So, I'm in recovery now, and recovery means it's time to learn some new tricks.


Now to talk about something I love to talk about -- yes, you guessed it: Food! I made these patties for dinner last night and my kids, who don't like anything, gobbled them up and asked for them for lunch today. Wow, that says A LOT. I made homemade hamburger buns yesterday and enjoyed one on a bun last night and today had it over salad. Yum!

This recipe comes from Devra Gartenstein's book "Local Bounty: Seasonal Vegan Recipes." It calls for black beans, which I didn't have, so I used black eyed peas. I threw in some bread crumbs but you could make it without. And just to continue the "I don't follow a recipe exactly" theme, I'll tell you that I didn't steam the squash, I cut it in half, scooped out the seeds, then roasted it flesh side down in a roasting pan (400 degrees F for 20 or so minutes)

Bean and Squash Burgers

1 acorn squash (I used a buttercup squash)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cups cooked or canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon canola oil

Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Cut the halves into chunks that will fit in your vegetable steamer and steam them for 20-30 minutes, or until they are very soft.

And this is the bun recipe I used - super easy and fast. Next time I might decrease the sugar. If I had rolled them in powdered sugar and stuffed them with jelly, they would have tasted like doughnuts to me. Actually.... what's wrong with that?

Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan. Add the onion, salt, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Cook on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.

Scoop the squash pulp into a medium bowl. Stir in the onion mixture, beans and vinegar. Mix well.

Shape the mixture into 6 patties. Heat the canola oil in a medium skillet and brown the patties on both sides. Serve on buns, topped with lettuce, tomato and condiments.

I'm off to make soup for dinner tonight. Which one? Maybe I can find a new version of cabbage soup - I still have half a head left and I know my kids love it.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!