weekend


Nothing slows down your weekend pace like an injury and the absence of your car. I've been resting, as much as someone like me can rest. Sure, I made apple butter, granola and three more roasted root vegetable tarts. Sure, I went to a baby shower, wandered into the woods to look for big mushrooms, and put away loads upon loads of laundry. I feel better when I'm standing up and moving around. But I also rested when the urge struck.

The girls are handling my shoulder/spine/rib injury wonderfully. They keep track of how often I do the PT-prescribed stretches, rub my shoulder, and understand that I need time to rest. If I didn't have the girls to keep me busy, my injury would hurt more, I think. 'A' and 'H' keep my mind off of the pain, they keep me moving around and limber, and they give me the strength to keep going. I don't know what I would do without them.

Last night I made Julia Child's french onion soup for dinner. I shouldn't say that I made it last night, because it actually takes a good part of the day to cook the onions slowly so that they sweeten up nicely. I first made this on New Year's Eve years ago, with Jeff, my sister Jennifer, and my brother in law, Bill. Mmmmmm! This is goodness at its best. I used vegetable stock instead of beef stock, because that's where I am in my life right now, but beef stock does taste better.

JULIA CHILD'S SOUPE A L'OIGNON ~ The Classic Version
(6-8 servings)
From "Mastering the Art of French Cooking", Volume One

3 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon olive oil
5 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar (to help carmelize the onions)
3 Tablespoons flour
8 cups beef stock, at a boil
1/2 cup dry white wine (like extra dry vermouth)
Salt and pepper to taste
3 Tablespoons cognac

Garnish: 6-8 croutes of hard toasted French bread rounds; 1-2 cups grated Swiss or Parmesan cheese

Melt the butter and oil over low heat in a heavy soup pot. Stir in the onions, cover, and sweat until they are tender; this will take about 15 to 25 minutes.

Remove the cover, increase heat to medium, and stir in the salt and sugar. Cook 30-40 minutes, stirring often, until the onions have turned an even, very deep, golden brown. Sprinkle in the flour; cook and stir for 3 to 5 minutes.

Off the heat, whisk in the boiling stock. Add the wine. Season to taste. Place the pot back on the heat, bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer, partially covered, for 40-60 minutes or more, skim foam from surface as it appears.

Taste and correct seasonings. At this point you may set it aside, uncovered, until you are ready to serve.

When ready to serve, with the soup at a simmer, stir in the cognac. Place the toast pieces in the bottoms of each bowl, pour the soup over it, and pass the cheese separately for your guests to help themselves.

To gratinée: Place a piece of toasted (sturdy) bread on hot soup (in individual oven proof bowls), sprinkle generously with grated Gruyère and place under broiler until melted and bubbly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!