a new day


Gnocchi for dinner

Today I got away from the smoky house smell for a bit while I worked for Michael Kilpatrick at the Saratoga Farmer's Market. I really enjoy working for Michael because I get to sell local, organic food to [seemingly] happy people, and he pays me with local, organic food. I love knowing that the product I handle is something I support 100 percent, and the pay I receive comes from a good, honest place. In those respects, it's one of the best jobs I've ever had.

I have a lot of respect for Michael. He's doing so many things right. He grows food that other farmers couldn't think of growing year-round. He communicates with his customers not only via the internet, but also face to face. He's largely self-taught and brilliant. He's aware of the larger issues involving food. He knows how important it is to provide local and organic food to the community. And he's so young! I'm sure there's so much more he's doing that I don't know about. His table today at the market was teeming with produce - lettuces; chard; broccoli and cauliflower; leeks; squashes; root crops including carrots, beets, turnips, jerusalem artichokes, rutabaga, radishes; onions and garlic; kohlrabi; ginger; and so much more. It's November - cold and frosty here, and Michael manages to have it all.

It's emotionally fulfilling for me to work at the market. That's a good thing.


Here are some things to be happy about:

My girls LOVE broccoli and jerusalem artichokes and I bought both today from Michael at the market

'A' started making her baby doll a dress from the fabric I used for her big-girl sundress during the summer

I made gnocchi for dinner tonight for the first time, and it wasn't half bad

Our family ski forms have been submitted. Jeff and the girls will ski, and I will snowboard. We're all looking forward to January!

Sleeping a long, wonderful sleep tonight

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!