Cold here!


It was cold here this morning. I don't have an outdoor thermometer, so I don't know the exact temperature at my home. The folks at The Weather Channel seemed to believe it was -20 degrees when I woke up. I can believe it, but I don't need a thermometer to tell me it's really cold... our cat Grace tells me about it. On the days Grace stays in bed far longer than I do, I know it's cold. Today she was reluctant to get up.

We're staying indoors this morning, skipping the homeschool nature class at the state park (bbbrrr! I wonder if anyone showed up!), enjoying a late breakfast, making pictures on our frosty windows with my thimbles, just like Mary and Laura used to do with Ma's thimble. We'll head out to gymnastics class and the library shortly.

One thing I'm disappointed about is that I had to reschedule 'A's appointment with an allergist at Children's Hospital in Boston. We were supposed to go on Wednesday but there's snow coming our way and I didn't think it was worth the risk. The drive is 3 hours each way, and the snow and freezing rain will hit Boston that afternoon. I rescheduled it for May. I don't expect miracles to occur at the appointment. It would be nice to know what the future holds for her and if there are any treatments on the horizon. In the meantime, we carry on.

Last night we enjoyed Jerusalem Artichoke soup for dinner. Dinner tonight is Sunflower Lentil Loaf with a green salad using Mesculin mix from Kilpatrick Family Farm.

Sunflower Lentil Loaf (from The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook by Cybele Pascal)

1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. toasted sunflower seeds (unsalted)
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
5 fresh sage leaves, mined fine (or 2 tsp. dried)
3 cups well-drained, cooked lentils
3 cups cooked brown rice
1/4 cup bread crumbs (gluten-free: brown-rice bread crumbs or corn-flake crumbs)
2 Tbsp. flour (gluten-free: spelt or oat flour)
3 tsp. Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 4 Tbsp. rice or oat milk)
2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Toast sunflower seeds in a 375-degree oven on a cookie sheet for a few minutes, shaking once or twice until they've turned golden.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Saute onion, garlic, and celery in olive oil over medium heat until soft and onion is translucent. Add sage and cook another minute or so. Remove pan from heat. Combine onion mixture with rest of ingredients, saving 2 Tbsp. of sunflower seeds to top the loaf. Put into large oiled loaf pan. Top with remaining sunflower seeds and cover with aluminum foil. Cook 20 minutes covered. Remove foil and cook 30 minutes more. When done, allow to cool completely on a wire rack.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!