New recipes


I've been waiting for a little mealtime inspiration to head my way, and somehow I got lucky this week. I've tried a few new recipes that use the ingredients I have on hand, the same ingredients I'm just about to get tired of, but these recipes present them in a new light. Just the thing I've been looking for!

It's not as if these meals blindly fell into my lap... I checked out a few cookbooks from the library and spent some time turning each and every page until I found a solid handful I wanted to try. This week we've enjoyed Healing Soup from Vegan Family Favorites; "Fronch" Toast, which is essentially french toast with chickpea flour instead of eggs (and rice milk instead of cow's milk); and right now I've got crock pot cannellini bean pot pie with a biscuit topping cooking. All were so easy to make and have warmed our bellies during this cold winter season.


Healing Soup, by Kathy Flake, found in Vegan Family Favorites
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 qt vegetable stock, or enough to cover vegetables
1 cup green or brown lentils
1 bunch kale, chopped
2 cups chopped tomatoes (I used the tomatoes I canned this summer)
1 to 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar (we try to use cider vinegar containing the "mother")
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon miso

Heat oil and add onion, plus carrots, celery and garlic, as they are prepared. Sauté a few minutes, then add stock, kale, and lentils. Cook over medium heat until kale begins to lose its color, about 20 minutes. Add tomatoes and rest of ingredients, except miso. Cook 20 minutes or until lentils and carrots are soft. Turn off heat and add miso, mixed with a little liquid from the soup or with warm water. Serve warm.

"Fronch" Toast from Vegan With a Vengeance
1 loaf whole wheat bread (I used homemade, cut into thick slices)
1 cup rice milk
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup chickpea flour
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

Mix all ingredients except the bread. Heat a skillet on medium heat and add a drop of oil to coat the pan. Soak the bread in the liquid mixture, and lay each piece in the hot pan. Cook for 2 minutes on each side. Serve warm.


The girls and I spent the afternoon reading about maps and making maps of their rooms. It all started when 'A' said, "Cape Cod looks curved on the map, but when I'm there, it just looks like regular land." Off to the library we went, returning home with many books, including this one, and this one too. 'A' and 'H' first drew maps of their rooms freehand, then we measured out the dimensions of the room in feet (actual feet - their feet), and added the furniture, also measured in feet. It's wonderful to watch 'A's a-ha! moments, when suddenly understands something so much better than before, and she had one of those today when she compared her first map with the second one. Yes, the purpose of a map is to show things as they actually are.

1 comments:

Alicia Says:

I LOVE the way you mapped A's room in a before and after kind of way. So smart! I love that you shared that. When Kyra gets to that point of interest, I'm totally stealing your idea!

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!