A new year!


It's a new year! I'm not really one for New Year's Resolutions. It's always seemed so strange that people wake up one day and decide to change so many things which, up to that point, have been really hard to change. Doesn't it seem like a recipe for failure?

This year I'm celebrating the fact that the new year has begun and I've got a few positive changes already in the works. I'm also celebrating the fact that the busy-ness of the seasons has come to an end (by that I mean summer (garden), fall (garden) and the Thanksgiving/Christmas celebrations), and now I can look forward to a few months of focusing on new things.

One thing that's *new* for me is the return of the paper calendar. I've had it less than a week and already I find I use it so much more than I used my Outlook calendar. I keep track of my time better and it's already become an information-hub for me. In four days. I wonder how long I'll keep up this level of enthusiasm? I say this as if I've never organized my time before, as if it's all new to me. It kind of is. I used to have an organized life, back before I had children, and come to think of it, I did keep a fairly detailed calendar when they were younger, but that was all part of a different life. We entered a whole new world this past year and it was a calendar-less, time-less world. It's a world everyone should have a chance to enter and explore at some point in their lives. It was a world in which it was okay to not have plans set in stone, to dilly-dally half the time, to not look at the clock at all during the day, instead relying on the hunger in our bellies and the sounds from the birds to tell us the time. It coincided with an overall move toward "opting out" on our part: opting out of school; opting out of the Standard American Diet; opting out of consuming. Instead we opted into other things: staying at the library until we all felt the urge to leave; watching the birds come and go at our backyard feeder, waiting for the elusive white-breasted nuthatch to return; admiring every inch of our tomato and squash plants; and creating new works of art whenever the urge struck, "just because."

I still have one foot firmly planted in that world, but the time has come to get a bit more organized. It's the grown-up thing to do, I guess. And it feels right.


The other things I feel good about are... yes, the same thing that's on everyone's list: I'm feeling better about my eating and exercise choices. Well, let's be honest, after spending November and December eating holiday junk and not exercising much at all, wouldn't any amount of healthy food or exercise make me feel better? Yes. I'm enjoying (again!) my workout and enjoying the feeling of eating to feel satisfied but not over-satisfied. It's been a while since I felt that way, and it's a welcome treat.

Lastly, I'm looking forward to picking up the Dave Ramsey book on CD from the library this week and listening to it. My sisters are also looking forward to a report from me and want to know if they should listen too.


The girls are back at art class (they love it and so do I); 'A' is earning her allowance and learning about the value of pennies, nickles and dimes; and we are all waiting with excitement for 'A's first tooth to fall out. It's been loose for months now... months. Finally it's wiggly and moving front and back with ease. She's completely freaked out about the fact that it's going to fall out. This is the same girl who freaks out about getting a new coat or a new pair of sneakers each season, so I'm not surprised. What does surprise me is how excited I am to have the Tooth Fairy visit our home! I haven't given much thought to her in about 30 years. Big stuff!

We're off to a good start this year. I can't ask for much more. Happy New Year to you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!