A new day!


It's a new day today, literally and figuratively. For some reason I'm thinking more clearly than ever. It's as if the part of me that lives in reality and the part of me that lives in my own fantasyland finally got together and decided to walk down the same path. It's easy to describe the "reality me": she's the one who makes sure the family's minds, bodies and spirits are developing all right; the one who volunteers at church and in the community; the one who takes care of business around the home. The "fantasyland me" could be described as the one who thinks it's possible to cram 100 things into one day; that one more serving of the dinner entree won't make a difference on the scale; or that the cat is going to live forever. For whatever reason, those two spirits met and decided to become one person today.

Does that sound funky? I think so too. It feels good and it feels right, but it definitely feels different. And it doesn't feel like it's any of my own doing. If I were a religious person, maybe I would think it is God's plan for me. But I'm not religious (spiritual, yes, religious, no), so I don't think that way. I sometimes do wonder if there's a higher power in the universe, and if there is, maybe that force is causing all of this to happen. Or maybe not.

Whatever it is, I'll take it. I like this change.

Today:
Making valentine's to share with friends tomorrow morning

I may have finally developed my favorite granola recipe. This is the closest I've ever gotten to a recipe I like, at any rate. I'll share it with you.

Mama Jillian's Granola

I don't use nuts in my granola recipes because 'A' is allergic to many nuts. Here is one interesting ingredient I do use: rice flour. I've never seen a granola recipe that uses rice flour. I've seen recipes that call for pastry flour and I've tried them, but there was something about it that I didn't like. I do like the added dimension of some sort of flour, and have been pleased with the way the rice flour bakes in this recipe.

Now for the recipe:

* Edited to add: I forgot to add the rice flour amount to this recipe. It's with the dry ingredients, below *

Preheat the oven to 325.

Mix together:

7 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup rice flour

Mix together:

1 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla OR pumpkin pie spice
scant 1/2 cup boiling water

Combine the wet and dry ingredients and bake for 20-30 minutes, checking and stirring a few times during the cooking time.

1 comments:

Erika Says:

I totally use brown rice flour in my granola bars!!

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!