All about the Food Swap!


Finally, FINALLY, I've got two spare minutes, and I'm going to spend it telling you about the food swap!

First of all, do go to a food swap if you hear about one, and if you're close to me, register for this one and GO!


This was my first ever food swap and I had no idea what to expect. I figured I would bring some of my own homemade goodness and trade it for other homemade goodness. I had no idea what other kinds of items would be there, and what things would tickle my fancy.

I had hoped someone would bring a dependable sourdough starter, and although I didn't see one there on Wednesday, I am hoping someone will bring one in the future. I would swap for that.

Our swap was organized by Christina of From Scratch Club and hosted by Ashley who own Common Tread Saratoga, a fabulous knitting store.

I brought granola that I had made (I make so much granola every week; I figured I would bring something that I make a lot of all the time). I also brought lemon balm plants and catmint plants that I have growing in my garden. I make tea from both leaves. The catmint tea is really good to have after you've overeaten a delicious meal (not that something like that has EVER happened to me, *smile*). The lemon balm is wonderful in iced tea. I make a big pot of black tea and throw in some fresh lemon balm leaves to add some lemony, minty flavor. Yum!

Other people brought canned goods (jams, pickled items, sauces); baked goods (scones, savory and sweet), and Dianna, bless her soul, a wise woman who understands what women want more than anything, brought dinner-for-tomorrow. I swapped for TWO of her dinners-for-tomorrow, and I walked away with both gourmet enchiladas and chana masala. I think I speak for a lot of women when I say that pre-made dinner is the most wonderful gift ever. It doesn't matter who you are, or how you spend your time... dinner made by someone else is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

When I arrived I unpacked my loot and laid it out on the table. When the time came to review all the items and start swapping, I looked everything over and made my decisions. I had 8 items that I brought, so I wrote my name next to 8 items I wanted. I waited and held my breath and then... swap time! It was like playing "Pit", the card game. Whose name is down next to my lemon balm? What do you have for it? Granola? Yes, I can give it to you if you give me your strawberry jam.
And so on. It was a lot of fun and I feel like I made out like a bandit!

The next swap is Wednesday, June 15. What will I bring? I'll tell you, I've been making really good yogurt lately. I'll share a recipe this week. Maybe I'll bring that? I might also make a dinner-for-tomorrow dish. Maybe a meat rub mix for father's day?





2 comments:

Christine Says:

The swap looked like a great time! I'm bummed I missed it, but I can't wait for the June one.

Mama Jillian Says:

Christine I'm looking forward to the June swap too! I'll see you there.

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!