Monday Meal Planning: Please tell me my family will like these meals!


I'm sitting down to plan out meals for our family for the upcoming week. I can't tell you what a challenge this has become as my children have gotten older and their preferences have changed. Not to mention the new corn and pea allergy diagnosis for 'A'. I know you don't want to hear my whining, so I'll keep it to a minimum. I'll just outline what the parameters are so you'll have an idea of what I'm dealing with.

For 'A':
No dairy, eggs, sesame, nuts, corn, peas or cumin [allergies]
Taste freakouts happen over: tomatoes, black beans, tofu, anything that resembles sauce or a dip, salad, peppers, veggie burgers
LOVES: pasta with olive oil, hummus, chickpeas, rice, edamame, couscous

For 'H':
Taste freakouts: pasta, hummus, couscous
LOVES: tomatoes, beans, pizza, edamame, salad, peppers, veggie burgers, sauces and dips

Let's take a quick moment to compare lists. Yup, it's true, a lot of the things 'A' LOVES, 'H' doesn't care for, and vice versa. My goodness. Add an increasing list of allergens to the mix and I am left with a lot of frustration and very little inspiration.

The whining is done. Here's my list of meals for the week - all of these are new recipes for us. Will they like them? Will I end up feeling defeated that I put time and effort into these new recipes and they weren't well received? Or will the girls give them thumbs up?

I'm taking these recipes from two cookbooks, "Vive le Vegan! Simple, Delectable Recipes for the Everyday Vegan Family," by Dreena Burton and "Vegan Lunch Box Around the World" by Jennifer McCann.

Pureed Chickpea Pasta Sauce with Fresh Herbs over... what kind of pasta? 'H' will ONLY eat pasta that looks like spaghetti but is cut into short pieces. So I guess I'll serve it over the cut spaghetti. I'll serve this with a green vegetable, like asparagus (which we have locally now), green beans (which aren't local) or broccoli (not local either).

Rosemary Seasoned Tofu Balls - according to the recipe, this is kind of like a meatball, which you would serve with red sauce over pasta. But since one of my children doesn't like sauce and the other one doesn't care for much pasta, I'm going to serve these plain with vegan scalloped potatoes and a green vegetable.

Sunflower Lentil Pie. Mmmm, with lentils, sunflower seeds, and celery, this sounds like pure comfort food! I'll serve this with yet another green vegetable.

Chik'n Pot Pie: This is the meatiest vegan pot pie recipe I've ever tried: seitan, veggies and potatoes cooked into a delectable pie crust.

Roasted Red Pepper Cannellini Bean Sauce over cut spaghetti. With [yawn...] another green vegetable.

I'll let you know how these dishes are received... keep your fingers crossed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!