[ ... ]


If only we could all be this relaxed and carefree.

What a day. Today the girls joined their homeschooling friends for art class (they learned about Hawaiian tikis and painted their own tiki). After class, we were supposed to head to the mechanic for new tires for my car. Instead 'A' got sick very quickly. It's something I've seen before and by now I know how it progresses and where it ends. Her seasonal allergies have been acting up and her nose was running today. By lunchtime it was a faucet. Then she started coughing. It's a repetitive, shallow cough. After that comes the wheezing. I administered the ventolin inhaler but it hardly touched her cough. I knew from experience that the cough wouldn't stop until she was given stronger meds. To the allergist we went. They told me that she has "uncontrolled asthma" and that she would benefit from taking inhaled steroids twice a day. She's in bed now and has had her two doses. It's helped quite a bit.

I don't know how I feel about her taking inhaled steroids. I don't like it, but I see how well she does with them. If her cough is left untreated (as it has been the past two autumn and winter seasons), she gets sick and deteriorates. What are we to do?

I have a lot to learn about asthma.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!