looking for lost things

Today finds us heading out to look for lost things. 'A's winter coat is waiting for us in the Adirondacks, right where she left it. On the way home we will visit the Hyde Collection, looking for inspiration and inner peace. We'll wander through the museum together, stopping to look at whatever catches our eye. The girls will head downstairs for art class and have a chance to create their own work. When we leave the sun will be setting and when we finally arrive home, I'll be looking for a few extra hours in the day while I make cookies for a few holiday events this week. I have a feeling we'll find everything we're looking for today.


Yesterday I decided to try my hand at homemade, egg-free pasta. I used semolina and white flour mixed with warm water. The recipe did not call for salt, and as a result it didn't have as much flavor as I would have liked. I also see that I would need to invest in a pasta machine if I were to do this again. I hand rolled it and cut the strips, but it was still too thick when it cooked. Overall though I found it easy to make.

Homemade Egg-free Pasta
(adapted from The Complete Book of Pasta and Noodles)

Put in the bowl of a food processor:
1 3/4 cups white flour
3/4 cup semolina flour

Add in a thin stream while the machine is running:
3/4 cup hot water

When the dough starts to become a ball, stop the machine and remove the dough. Knead it on a clean counter for one minute until it is smooth and elastic. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap to keep it from drying out.

To shape, take a small amount from the plastic wrap and roll it with a rolling pin into a long rectangle. Try to roll it as thinly as possible. Using a paring knife or pizza cutter, cut into noodles. Toss the cut noodles in flour until you are ready to cook them.

To cook, place the cut/shaped pasta into a large pot of salted, boiling water, and cook for about 5 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!