birthday season is over


Jeff's birthday yesterday wrapped up our birthday season for this year. I don't complain about much because there's not a whole lot to complain about when it comes down to it, but if I had the chance to spread our birthdays out over the year a little more, I would probably do it. Four birthdays in four weeks is a lot.

We "done good" this time around with our giving. 'A' dropped off her big box of pajamas and toothbrushes and toothpaste at the domestic violence shelter and the women who worked there all came out to swoon over it. You can probably guess where 'A' was.... in the corner playing with the toys, trying her best to hide. Jeff calls her an "anonymous donor." She loves to do good things for people who need it, but does not want to be thanked at all. I get it, I like to do nice things for people and I'm happier when there's no reciprocation.

Jeff gave some of his birthday money to one of his coworkers who ran in the Boston Marathon as part of the Children's Hospital team. Children's Hospital does such great work and their research is so important. I have always been impressed with the Harvard medical group, whether it's through Brigham and Women's or Children's Hospital.

I gave seven solar stoves to the Jewish World Watch, an organization that stands up for those who are victims of genocide around the world.

It feels good to give. We all gave up some of our birthday presents in order to support a cause of our choice. I have to say that given the choice between buying myself a mocha latte while I'm out and about or giving a little to people who need help, I am choosing to help people who need it. I have plenty, even without the latte.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!