Chris Bernd saved me today


This is the chipmunk that spent half of today in my bathroom.

'A'came to me this afternoon and said, "There's a bird under your bed, Mommy." She took me to show where it was. We bent down together and peeked under the bedskirt, but saw no bird. "How do you know?" I asked. "I saw it. It flew under there and I heard it too." I wanted to believe her, but if you've ever met a 3 year old, you know that they have active imaginations. So I dismissed her account and said, "Please don't say things like that if they aren't true. It makes me upset to think that there's a bird in my bedroom."

Fast forward to two hours later. I'm walking past my bathroom and I saw a CHIPMUNK scurry across the floor! I screamed, of course, and then shut the bathroom door tightly. Then I called everyone I knew who was close by.


Judimarie loaned me a Havahart trap. When I got it home, I realized I was too wimpy to open the bathroom door to set up the trap, so I called Chris and Sue and asked them to come over for dinner and some fun chipmunk chasing. Chris set up the trap and we relaxed and ate, confident that the chipmunk was resting comfortably in the trap.

The little thing never made it into the trap. Chris started picking up the laundry basket, the wastebasket, the shower curtain... and no chipmunk. "Maybe it snuck out somewhere and is outside..." Sounded good to me! Then I heard a lot of yelling, "Stand still! No! Stop!" and after a few minutes, Chris emerged from the bathroom with the chipmunk in a plastic grocery bag. Yay, Chris! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Tonight has the potential to be tough. 'H' is getting all 4 canine teeth right now and is in a lot of pain. She has also been hit hard with seasonal allergies and her little nose is stuffed up. Tonight 'A' had very bad behavior and pushed poor 'H' down the stairs, and now her lip is swollen and bleeding. And I'm sure her insides are feeling sore. She's having trouble staying asleep tonight.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!