
Have you been wondering when the next wave of the women's movement will come, and what it will look like? Look no further. In fact, look down, because you're riding on it right now.
I usually don't mix my politics into this blog but there is something that I feel Americans need to be talking about, so I'm going to talk about it. It's about the path of the women's movement - where it's going - and what the heck the women's movement is these days. I'm not going to talk much about Sarah Palin, but I will talk about the people who are supporting her because she is a woman, not because they agree with her views.
When the women's movement started as an official movement over 40 years ago, the original intent was to put the issue of gender, and how gender affects us, on the table for discussion and take action to eliminate obvious injustice. Over the years, the discussion has included topics such as women and work; women and families (marriage/partnership and motherhood); women and the economy... and the list goes on. Now it's time to add a new discussion to the list: the differences among women.
What does it mean to support women and women's rights? Does it mean that women should support other women in positions of power simply because they are women? NOW PAC Chair Kim Gandy says no, and I agree with her. She says, "Gov. Palin may be the second woman vice-presidential candidate on a major party ticket, but she is not the right woman. Sadly, she is a woman who opposes women's rights, just like John McCain. The fact that Palin is a mother of five who has a 4-month-old baby, a woman who is juggling work and family responsibilities, will speak to many women. But will Palin speak FOR women? Based on her record and her stated positions, the answer is clearly No."
I am disappointed that so many people who want to see a woman in public office would support the GOP ticket simply because a woman is on it. I studied Women's Studies at UConn in the 90's and one of my professors told us to remember one thing above all else: there are just as many differences among women as there are between women and men. The Women's Movement is not about women v. men; it's about people coming together to recognize that women and men face different challenges and deal with different issues. And not only are men and women different, all women are not alike. Understanding those different issues and coming up with realistic, fair solutions is the goal.
People who believe that having any woman in a position of power, regardless of her views, is a good thing for women are not using necessary critical thinking skills to make sound decisions. As I have often heard, "Gender is what happens between your ears, not between your legs." Just because someone is biologically built as a woman does not mean she supports women's rights! It's time to start talking about it. It's time to have a national discussion about what "women's rights" means these days.
It's okay to vote for a man instead of a woman, if that man is going to address women's needs and issues better. And while we're on the topic of women's issues, let me clarify what I think women's issues are. They include: things that affect our bodies and minds right now, like access to affordable, quality healthcare (including abortion and birth control) and mental health services; things that affect our household budgets like the economy and taxes; things that affect our future, and our children's future, like education, the environment, medicare and social security; things that affect our outlook and sense of well-being, like culture and the arts, community action and volunteerism; and things that affect our standing in the world, such as a foreign policy that places emphasis on diplomacy.
Women need to start talking about the differences between themselves and other women, and understand that it's okay to disagree, to have different opinions, and most of all, it's okay to not support another woman's rise to power and still proudly say they support women's rights.
I do not support Sarah Palin's political views and I will not vote for the McCain-Palin ticket. I do support women's rights and I believe Barack Obama is a better choice.








0 comments:
Post a Comment