Crafting with the Three R's

Reusing, Reducing and Recycling. We try to do it at home and I'm working it into my creative projects. Today I had some time to get out the pinecone wreath I started at the end of the fall. We live in a White Pine forest and that can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it. If you like to be creative with pinecones, it is definitely a good thing!

I'm attaching the pinecones with wire and it's a slow process.



Here's something I hadn't intended to be crafty with, but I am so happy that I am! Plastic grocery bags. What do you do with yours? In our house, they have 3 purposes, and until today, 3 purposes only. 1) Daily cat litter duty; 2) our 2 year old sits on them in the car if she has an accident; 3) I bring them to the grocery store and reuse them.

Today at the store, five, count them - 5 - of the bags broke. There I was, doing my part to reuse them, and they broke. I wadded them up and planned to put them in the car for their next life as a seat for little girls with potty pants. Then I came across Done by Tuesday's blog that referenced an Etsy tutorial about fusing plastic grocery bags together to make a strong material that can be repurposed. Wow! My world just got a little bigger. I sat down and whipped up my first project - it's going to go right into my purse and will hold all of my "to do" papers for the day - folded printer paper, checks to be deposited, coupons to be redeemed, and all the other paper "stuff" that needs a home in my enormous sack that I call a purse. The material isn't the easiest to sew - the seams aren't straight and it can get away from you, but it works, and it's good for the world.

Wow!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!