
We had an ice storm on Thursday night and have had ice on the trees ever since. It's really pretty when I look outside now and see the sun shining through the icy branches. It looks like diamonds and crystals are hanging from every branch.

On the night of the storm, I didn't think it was so pretty. Jeff was in Chicago, and I was thankful he was in a safer place than I. 'A' came into bed with me in the middle of the night and we slept happily until I started hearing branches snapping outside the house. I got up to check it out (along with half of the neighborhood, judging from all the lights that were on). I did my quick mental check of the trees in our yard and remembered how they all like to lean, and decided that 'A' and I would be safest if we slept on the couches in the family room. There is only one tree, a white pine, that I fear may fall on our house in an ice storm, and it is right on the other side of my bedroom wall. It didn't fall, but it's sister, who stands right next to it and is the same size, lost the top half of her main trunk on Friday. It fell to the ground and was heavy as all heck to move. I'll know when the ice clears if we are going to have to have it taken down completely.

Today our minister read something about how the Christmas season can be special and meaningful even if you don't completely believe in the holiness of the story. I'll share it with you.
"Into the bright circle of life and light, which is the Christmas season, we have come.
Out of the routine ways of living, and the drab ruts of habit, we have come to warm our hearts and minds at the cradle of the child.
May something of the beauty, mystery, and promise of this lovely old story fall like silver rain upon the broken dreams, the hates and fears of all.
Once again may we pause, look up, and in the far-off distances hear that old, old music, the music of hope, brotherhood, sisterhood, and blessed peace."
Jeff suggested we print this out and do something with it during our celebration with my mother this weekend. Every year my mother, a Methodist (who by the way wonders if God is a woman, so she is open to alternative ideas about her religion) asks how Unitarians can celebrate Christmas if we don't buy the whole story. This is a nice answer to her question and some of my questions, too.

The sermon was about giving and sharing and remembering that the illusion of the "American Dream" - that we all have the ability to have what we want if we will only work hard enough - puts us all at risk, particularly during this time of economic uncertainty. If we believe that myth, then we can't help but blame those who are unable to find work and shame them for asking for help from either the government or their local charities. When we stop reaching out to those who need help and those who need it stop asking for it, all of us suffer.

We have even more flying squirrels living in our walls this year. Last night we identified a family living behind the mirror in one of our bathrooms. I'm calling the exterminator on Monday and agreeing to their extensive animal-control program. I don't mind sharing the walls of my home if the animals find that it's too cold outside, but I don't want them hanging out in the bathroom with me.
0 comments:
Post a Comment