
I'm back at the Cape. I got a sweet surprise this week. Cathy and her family are here!

Cathy has been coming here every summer since she was a little girl - her family rents my Aunt Nancy's house down the street (actually it's my cousin's house now). We met when we were young. When I did my year abroad in Paris, we were at the same school at the same time. Oh yeah, did I mention that she lives in France? Sorry, I just had some wine. I'll back up. Cathy's grandfather was - I think I have this right - a WWII American soldier and he met his wife in France. They moved to the US and raised their children, including Cathy's mother, in Massachusetts. Cathy's mother went to college in France and met her husband there, and they stayed in France and raised their children outside of Paris. They come to the US every summer to reconnect with family and enjoy some time at the Cape.

So, back to this week - Cathy wasn't supposed to come until next week, when I would have been long gone, but she and her husband and 3 children came early and it is such a delight to see them! It is really neat to step back and remember that we have known each other through different phases of our lives, and now here we both are, running around after young children. Cathy is a great mother and an all-around wonderful role model and she has a really wonderful family.

To change the subject entirely, I don't know if you can see the tents in this next photo - they are lined up on the beach. Nice! These people are living my dream. I would love to camp on the beach. My mother would frown on that, which is why I have never done it. Also, I imagine that the morning dew would be quite heavy, with or without a fly. But think about it - how awesome would it be to fall asleep under the big open sky, listening to the sound of the gentle waves lapping at the shore?

0 comments:
Post a Comment