holiday weekend


My Aunt Judi called me this afternoon and we had a nice long catch-up chat. Judi lives in Utah and so do her 3 kids and their families. The big news is that my cousin Heather, who has 3 children in elementary & middle school, is pregnant! I knew she wanted to have a few more children because she loves babies so much, and I am so happy for her. It's always so nice talking with Judi because she is so genuine and she is a really great person.

I started making my photos smaller for this blog because I notice that it takes longer to open the page now, and I'm assuming it's because my photos are so large.


I haven't completely solved my programming problem but I am working on a few leads (thanks Ryan!). Yesterday I had to finish up a few other parts of the site and I am so happy I'm almost done. I'm also really proud of myself for doing this in ASP.Net. ASP.Net is pretty cool because it's loaded with classes and you spend a lot less time writing lines and lines of code and more time pushing the functionality of the pages to new levels. (not that I mind writing all that code, it's actually pretty relaxing to zone out like that, but the hard part is keeping track of it all). This whole project has been one learning experience after another. As much as I swear I never want to work again, I know I won't stop - I am too excited about applying this technology to other things to keep my hands out of it.

Has anyone noticed how great their perennials look this year? Despite all of my attempts to ignore and kill my plants, they are all looking fabulous. My dad says it's an exceptionally good year for them because ... I can't remember why, but it has something to do with last winter or this spring ... or something. Anyway, perennials all across the northeast are apparently quite happy this summer.
PS, If I refer to my dad when I talk about plants and I make it sound like he's God, it's because he is. He knows quite a bit about plants and agriculture.

Tonight I am making Spicy Thai Coconut Shrimp for dinner. It's a Cooking Light recipe so I know it will be good.

Ingredients
2 cups uncooked rice
1 1/2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 teaspoons red curry paste (such as Maesri) or chile paste with garlic
1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
Cooking spray
2 1/2 cups (1-inch) sliced asparagus (about 3/4 pound)
1 1/2 cups sliced green onions
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk

Preparation
Cook the rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.

While the rice is cooking, combine the water and curry paste in a medium bowl; add shrimp, tossing to coat.

Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot.

Add the shrimp mixture, and sauté for 4 minutes.

Add sliced asparagus and green onions; cover and cook for 3 minutes or until the asparagus is crisp-tender.

Stir in salt and coconut milk.

Cook for 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.

Serve over rice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!