July 4th weekend


We wanted to watch fireworks this weekend, but it's so hit-or-miss with our kids. By the time the fireworks start, it's so late, and they are ready for bed. Today we decided to take the chance that we might catch a show because both of the girls (and me too!) took really long naps this afternoon.

We read in the paper that there would be fireworks at Saratoga Lake, but we didn't know where on the lake they would be. We asked a bunch of people and Jeff even called the local fire department, but we got no answer. So, at 8:30, we piled into the car (my new car!) and we drove down the street to the lake.

The funny thing about Saratoga Lake is that there isn't any public access. It's surrounded by private homes. We drove around and looked for a spot where we could pull over and have a clear view, but we didn't see any available spots. Then we drove past a beautiful home that had a "For Sale" sign in front and it looked vacant. And I did something that was very out of character for me: I told Jeff to turn around and park in their driveway. Usually I am the one who is nervous about doing anything remotely illegal! Anyway, we pulled in and we had a great view of the fireworks show. The girls enjoyed it as much as a 1 and 3 year old can.


Yesterday we got a huge amount of "house stuff" done. Huge. At some point in the afternoon, I set 'A' up in the backyard with a set of paints and a pile of paper. Jeff was outside washing the house and I went inside to clean. 'A' kept coming inside to wash the paint off of her hands and I finally told her that if she comes inside to wash her hands one more time, I was going to take the paints away. "Please don't paint your hands anymore." "Okay, Mommy."


Next thing I know, she's painted her legs and her arms... and the funny thing is, she didn't paint her hands until after I laughed about it and told her she could paint them. Was that a creative way of getting around the painted-hands issue, or straight-up rebellion? Either way, it was pretty cute.


We have barely stopped moving since the weekend started. Today we went to downtown Saratoga to the BBQ and Dessert Festival. It was pretty neat. The Bread Basket had the best dessert, and Jeff thought Cantina had the best BBQ.


Last night we put the girls to bed and sat outside by our fire pit. We roasted marshmallows and had a great time.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!