I get lost here.


I get lost here. When I'm here, nothing else exists. It's amazing that I feel that way, because when I'm here, the bulk of what drives people (including me) to exhaustion is here with me - my mother, my children, and my work. Life. But somehow, none of that reaches my core, and I am able to feel peaceful, and I spend time detaching and reflecting while I'm here.


When I was younger, living on my own, before I met Jeff, I used to come here to escape. I would go out to the beach at night after my mom and Dick went to bed and I would lay down and look up at the stars and ask them what was in store for me. They never talked back, but I always felt a strong sense of comfort when I looked up at them. It was all going to be okay.


It's different now. I don't have that feeling of being lost and wondering what will happen to me. In fact, it's the complete opposite now - I know what I want to happen, and I really don't have any desire to live "like a rolling stone" anymore. Once upon a time, spontaneity and The Unknown were welcomed, because they brought with them change and new things. That's a good thing when you're in your 20's and you're fairly certain that your Boyfriend of the Moment is not the one, and you know for sure that there is a different life out there for you, just waiting for you to come and get it. These days, it's different. I'm happy with where I am and who I am with. I don't want any changes. Not big ones, anyway.


In other news, last night my Uncle Norman and Aunt Marion (they live next door) had an "Around the World" party. No, not the kind you had in college - but boy, would that have been fun! And not the kind where we all act like grown-ups and go to each other's houses for the next course. This was a party for the folks in the neighborhood who came from around the world. Cathy, her husband and children and her parents were there (representing France), I was there to represent New York (which is a different country if you ask the New Englanders), and Germany was represented by the lovely couple staying at The Studio. They are in the US for a multi-week vacation. They took a bus from New York City to Boston and then took the ferry from Boston to Provincetown, rented bikes in P-town and biked to the cottage. They travelled lightly and with high spirits, and we are all amazed with their adventure!

Below you will see my mother holding 'H' and sharing with the German couple all of the wonders of this area.


Below is the Griffin's house. You're seeing it for the first time? So am I. It was a little old cottage that had sunk into the ground and had nearly been covered with wind-swept sand. Over the winter, they raised it up a story. Now it peeks up over the dune and - surprise! - is the same height as my mother's house (right next door). Noise does carry when you're all right at the same altitude.


Enjoy your night.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!