If you like wine, you might like to hear about this...


The girls are in bed and Jeff is out with college friends, so I am taking some time to go through my Pile Of Stuff. A big part of my pile is magazines. I get a lot of magazines delivered, all free, and somehow I manage to actually read them all. I get computer magazines, parenting magazines, cooking magazines, fashion magazines, home and garden magazines, business magazines and news magazines. Okay, let's get real, I don't actually read the fashion magazines. I like them because I rip out the perfume samples and I use the samples as my Going Out perfume, and that way I don't have to buy any.

Tonight I was reading the Simply Wine magazine that I picked up at the wine store last week (Purdy's Discount Wine & Liquor, it's my favorite wine store!). In it is an article about the serving temperature of wine. I have heard that certain wines should be chilled or served at room temp, but when it comes to pouring myself a nice big glass of cheap white wine, I rarely wonder if I'm serving it at the right temperature.

Turns out, it is important because if it's too cold, you can't taste the flavor (maybe that's a good thing with the cheap wine?). If it's too warm, it doesn't have a lot of flavor either. That's for the whites. The reds will be too "alcoholy" if they are too warm, and too sharp, with little flavor, if they are too cold. It would be neat to have a wine tasting and as one aspect of the tasting, serve the same wine at different temperatures to see how it can change flavor.


Today was a good day for parent/child relationships in our house. 'A' went for her very first professional haircut today and she did a great job. It looks really cute! Both girls displayed excellent behavior this afternoon when we took 'H' to the doctor for our usual Friday afternoon emergency doctor visit. We don't go to the doctor every Friday afternoon, but we do average once a month now. I have learned that my children have the special talent of ONLY getting ill on Friday afternoons and if I take them to the doctor on Friday, they make a miraculous recovery by Saturday morning, but if I try to wait until Monday to have them seen, they become super-sick by the middle of the weekend. Now that I know all of this, we go to our pediatrician when the issue arises on Friday afternoons instead of dealing with weekend emergency visits to the doctors on call that I don't like nearly as much as I like Dr. Miller.


'H' has an infected thumb. There was a big black spot under her nail today (a blood blister, I wondered?) and it was a little red. By the time we got to his office this afternoon, it was really red. Normally I would say, "Soak it for a few days and it will be fine," but if you've ever met a 16-month old, you would know that you can't soak their thumb for a few days.


His diagnosis: "Trauma" to the finger, which caused the infection. My translation: "Her 3 year old sister probably stepped on her thumb." Thanks a lot, 'A'. She is on antibiotics and I am to do my best to get her to soak it, so tonight I stuck her in a very warm bathtub and threw 50 plastic buttons in there and had her try to pick them all up. That kept her fingers in the water for a long time! I might use this game every night, even when her finger is better.


I think I'll give myself a treat tonight and go to bed early. Goodnight! Sleep tight!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!