today



We (me and my two daughters) hung out today. By that, I mean that we were up early, did the dishes, several loads of laundry, planned menus for a week, picked through coupons, went grocery shopping, and then ate an early lunch. Then we hung out some more. All afternoon. It was fabulous.





Here is the "scarflette" that I knitted over the weekend. It's called a neck warmer. I modeled it on these neck-warmers: this, and this, but of course, mine doesn't come close. It's not that I can't do it, it's that I don't want to follow anyone else's pattern. I like to do my own stuff :)



You can wear it with the buttons showing or without:



I wanted a scarf that would look like a scarf but wouldn't dangle and fall down when I bent over to: a) unbuckle a car seat; b) wipe someone's nose; or c) put shoes on a young child's feet. Any of you ever feel that your scarf gets in your way when you do those things?

I am lukewarm about this scarf. It looks OK but I can *feel* the flaws. You know what I mean? I can just hear Julia, the woman who taught me how to knit 10 years ago, sighing over this project for several reasons. The big reason is that I didn't use wool, and that is a mistake that I recognized within minutes of putting it on. It's all stretched out. I used the $1 skein that I found at Ocean State Job Lot. It's forgiving because you can't see any mistake or slack in your tension, but hard to knit with and it doesn't bounce back like good 'ole wool.



I used some of the fabulous buttons that Uncle Alan sent last fall and I have to say, they might be the prettiest part of the neck-warmer!

I cast on about 15 stitches and knit a bit, then decreased to about 10 (too much decrease), then increased after about 6 inches to 13 stitches or so. I made it all up. I just knitted, straight knitting, nothing fancy.





Finally, if you're looking for an entertaining blog and you happen to like music, bands, human relationships, or advertising, check this site out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!