I've been visiting this space infrequently lately. I can't even say it's because I'm busy, because I'm not. I'm just enjoying life. Enjoying my children, my new workout, the chilly weather, my cats, and my husband. 'A' is learning to read and learning to tell time. 'H' is learning how to be cuter every day.

On a separate note, I feel a food allergy rant coming on, so stay tuned (or don't) for that.

Something is brewing here in our house, and it's not a happy thing. Erma, my lovely cat, faithful companion and trusty friend, is nearing the end of her life. She's 17 and a half years old and it's all happening at once: her arthritis is worsening, her eyesight is fading, her hearing is gone. Her kidneys are starting to fail, and as her acupuncturist reminds me, the kidneys hold the essence of life. When they go, the end of life is near. It's painful for me to think about it. Erma and I have been together since the beginning of my adult life. She's so much a part of me, and when she's gone, I am going to have a very big hole to patch. I get lonely just thinking about it.

In the meantime, she's going for acupuncture treatments to lessen her pain. I want her to live with some sense of dignity as long as she can. Her first treatment (this time around - she did go over a year ago) was a little over a week ago and within days she was walking more comfortably. She goes again next week.

I asked Jeff last night to please help me get through this. I can't do it alone, and I don't even think I can do it with help. It's hard to love an animal for this many years and then watch them die. I've done this before, once when Erma's older "sister" Agnes died when she was 4 years old (she was born with a disease and had to be put to sleep), and when my family cat, Lulu, died at 21. I was a teenager at the time and I watched my mother fall apart over it. I didn't understand it at the time, and was a bit threatened by it, but now I understand.

What's for dinner? I have a lot of root vegetables. This recipe looks delicious.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Jillian. I started this blog as a way to experiment with my camera and it's a become a nice little spot where I enjoy spending time. I'm a mother to 6 and 4 year old daughters, wife to a cool computer guy, and mama to a cuddly cat. We enjoy eating local, organic food; managing several food allergies; homeschooling with love; spending time in nature; and we love to take time each day to be creative. You can also find me over at From Scratch Club from time to time. Welcome!