
I went to the dentist yesterday because something in my mouth wasn't quite right. I have a history of grinding my teeth and because of my habit, I have had 2 root canals and crowns and I am due for another crown in a few weeks. Anyway, I really like my dentist and he is also a teeth grinder, and he is pretty good about sympathizing with me while he helps me deal with my problem. We decided that my current issues all stem from the fact that I not only grind while I sleep, but I clench my jaw while I'm awake. My homework is to learn how to relax.

Relax? I think I need to take a class to learn how to do that. Not only was I not raised to relax, but to be honest, I really have no interest in doing it. It makes me anxious.

My mother had a clipping hung in the kitchen for as long as I can remember: "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest." Ecclesiastes 9:10.
Translation: You better give everything in life 110%. And if you want to stop giving 110%, just wait, because someday you'll be dead and then you will have time to relax.

My mother never sat down when I was little, and when she did sit - which I think happened only 2 or 3 times, she was doing 3 different things at the same time. Her mother was the same way, and my older sister has the bug too.
I used to be able to focus better, and I used to feel more physically relaxed, but then I realized that I ultimately feel happier if I have more going on. So I transitioned from a life of "what if..." and "maybe someday..." to a life of "I did..." and "I am doing..." and in the process, I forgot how to slow down and listen to my body.

Looking at plants makes me feel relaxed. And the ones that are outside right now are the most precious ever. The flowers are almost coming into bloom, and I love how they sit tight, waiting to unfold and grow. They're like little children, so beautiful with so much potential.

My children are sleeping right now - I'm having a very peaceful afternoon!
0 comments:
Post a Comment